Sunday, August 16, 2009

Ganomey Hat

About 2 weeks ago I received my latest Vogue Knitting. The more involved in knitting I get the smaller the world gets. Ideas and techniques are starting to repeat. Reading Meg's article on the Ganomey from Elizabeth I realized I have the pattern in at least 2 books at home. I didn't think it looked like something I was interested in. Well I changed my mind and thought it would be a good idea for Christmas presents for all of the young children of my friends and family. The pattern as any from Elizabeth relies on gauge. I choose some blend yarn for ease of parental care and started knitting. Wow what a fun and easy pattern. I knit 4 in the past week, even with getting a crown, biking and driving way up north. The pictures only show 3, two were knitted with the same size needles. The first one I did in size 6 with worsted weight, thinking it would be too big for a 5-6 year old. Well it may fit a new born. Then I went with size 8, I think these are going to work for lower graded kids. Then I am thinking what size needle do I need for an adult size. The 10 worked but with the worst weight the hat isn't as tight as it should be to keep your head warm. I will use thicker wool for my next adult. I don't like knitting swatches especially for little projects. So why not knit complete hats. I forgot to mention the pattern includes inserting a ping pong ball in the end and tie in. I think it is a wonderful addition. As EZ says the hat will float if it falls off in the water. I will certainly experiment with colors and stripes like Meg did in the Vogue article.
The green is size 1o, red size 8 and the blue size 6 needles. All are knit with the same pattern and stitches.

No comments: