Wednesday, October 31, 2007

What will it become?

I think it was a day after I received "Knitting Workshop" by Elizabeth Zimmermann for Christmas I was knitting in the round. I had this wonderful wool from Australia so I set off a knitting. I thought I had a good gauge going about half way it felt small so I did add some stitches. Finished the sleeves, loved EZ's way of adding stitches, no holes! Got the sewing machine out, sewed and cut. Sewed the sleeves in. I tried it on and that was it, it was on with no room to spare. I had just lost 10 pounds and planned on losing another 10 so I left it unfinished in a bag. Ten months later I run in to the bag. Well the 10 pounds really didn't happen, but in EZ fashion I am not discouraged. The sleeves are off for an additional inch in length and width. The hem was finished last night. The sewing machine is ready to cut the front open to make it a cardigan with a little more room. I still need to decide on collar and buttons. I think I will dig through the quart jar of buttons my grandmother has saved, nothing went to waste in her world, once you out grew your cloths or the hole is in the wrong place the fabric was quilted and buttons put in a jar. Stay tuned.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

EZ Fairisle Vest

This vest has been done for months. I just needed to neaten up the cut steek edges inside. This was from a Spun out pattern that is also in the Knitting Workshop book. I used Paton's Merino wool, it came out thicker than I expected. I used broken rib for the ribbing. This was my first project with steeks and was fun to knit. Thanks to Gabrielle for the great pictures.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sunday Walk

What a great weekend in Wisconsin! I gave up some knitting time to bike and walk this weekend, about 40 miles over the two days. Here are a couple pictures of the scenery.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Blue Norwegian Sweater

Finally got pictures of this project. It has been done for awhile, finding a zipper long enough was a challenge. This is a wearable practice sweater, I wanted to work on my two color knitting and pattern design before I worked on a full size wool project. The yarn for this sweater was a reasonable cotton acrylic blend I have had forever. The collar took a couple tries to get the roll and decrease right. I used all the techniques from EZ's book. I even knitted a lining over the sleeve seams. One I-cord finished the front cut line then I sewed the zipper in between the I-cord and the sweater, then another I- cord attached to the original I-cord to cover the zipper, it worked out well. It is keeping me warm today with the weather finally changing in Wisconsin.